This is arguably the most important of all our NMC cups, and the most valuable. It stands just under 6 inches (15 cm) high on its wooden plinth and is solid 9 carat gold. Inscribed to one side “The Mendel Cup presented by C M Stoney 1933”, and to the other side “To be competed for at each NMC Annual and Summer Cup Show and awarded for the best type mouse winning a first prize.”
Today, it is awarded only once a year at the Annual show. It is fully hallmarked for 1932 and was made in Birmingham by Thomas Fattorini. The pendant drops are also hallmarked. Fattorini is mainly known as a maker of badges and sporting medals, and had premises in Skipton and Bolton in addition to his primary works in Regent Street, Birmingham.